By removing the top layers of dead skin cells and activating the lower dermis (where all the action is), the texture, tone, and firmness of your skin can change. If your products and treatments only work on the surface, all you will get is a temporary cosmetic effect and no real change.
Think of the top layers of your skin as a dried sponge: if you get it wet, it will soften and plump; if you leave the sponge out on the counter, it will just dry up again—you will have a temporary change, but inevitably, the sponge will go back to its original dry state.
Similarly, with your skin, if you can get past the top layers and slough them off, you can open up pathways to deliver nutrients, antioxidants, hydration, and the essential building blocks to build support structures as in collagen, elastin, hyaluronic acid, and healthy new skin cells. The result will be skin that appears smooth, soft, firm, radiant—and the look won’t wash off.
Here is Dr. Obagi’s recommended approach to producing lasting changes and not just a temporary cosmetic cover-up:
- Seek the guidance of a licensed skin care professional.
- Start on a regular program to get skin ready for daily cell renewal using ZO Skinhealth and ZO Medical products.
- Accelerate resurfacing with more aggressive professional resurfacing treatments (microdermabrasion, laser treatments, etc.).
- Supplement your daily resurfacing regimen with application of nutrient-rich antioxidants and growth factors.
- Use targeted products to treat specific conditions: acne, hyperpigmentation, rosacea, tired eyes, etc.
- Use injectables such as Botox® to smooth the frown and Juvederm® to fill in the deeper wrinkles. Be sure to ask your doctor for his or her brand recommendations, though, as not all fillers are the same.
- Apply sun protection every day.
- Stay on track with proper coaching and support from your skincare specialist.